Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Crushes: kindergarten

Kindergarten was a time where all the girls ran away giggling from the one boy who threatened to kiss them, no one exactly sure if they really wanted the chase to end, but they all seemed to love the game. I was too distracted with playing soccer with other boys to care much about the drama. If I had a crush on someone it was the Tom girl who played a mean (as in impressive) game of handball.

I do remember a time where I got caught in the crossfire of the playground games, however. My parents were friends with the parents of one of my schoolmates. She was a nice quiet girl who was often by herself, and though I would never have told her so, I thought she was cute. Since my mom visited her mom with me in tow I got to know her as well as anyone. There family had a trampoline. That was cool.

Well there I was, getting sung the k-i-s-s-i-n-g song as I sat next to this girl. Sure it was embarrassing and we both scrunched our faces in disgust, but it wasn't like I didn't like her. Several days of that and you would think we would have quit sitting next to each other altogether. Instead I found myself standing up for her when I wasn't around her and sitting by her under the monkey bars during recess. She was my first crush but it was more like a friend that was a girl: the first friend I remember having.

My family moved away. The next time I saw this girl we were in college. Let's just say, things were different then.

No comments:

Post a Comment